Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hrmmmm...

IMG_4303
Getting 22 stitches per 4 inches, instead of 24. I think the pattern must have been written by a tight knitter, because it calls for 3.5 mm / US 4, and that's the size needles the yarn recommends to get 22 stitches per 4 inches.

Punching in the numbers, the gauge difference is adding an inch to the circumference. Looks like I need to rip and restart on smaller needles. :(

Besides the size, a looser gauge will be less durable, and let more wind through.

Trying to balance keeping the floats loose with getting a tighter gauge is going to be tricky.

Pattern: Wool Trends double mitten with knitted-in angora lining (note: I got a different angora yarn than the one listed on the kits page), Ravelry link.

Ravelry project page.

2 comments:

sara said...

It's gorgeous so far!

noricum said...

Thanks! It was hard (emotionally, not physically) to rip it out, but now I've made it back to the same place, plus a bit farther. I'm not quite at gauge, but I'm closer. (It turns out it's 25 sts / 4", but I think I'm getting 24 sts / 4"... I figure that's close enough. I've got big hands anyway.)