Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weather Report

Frost
About the middle of last week things got pretty cold around here. The longjohns came out, and frost made my apartment completely private. Then a high pressure system moved in, giving me a two day killer headache and bringing warmer weather. The headache and frost are now gone. I miss the frost, but not the headache.

The temperature in my apartment is kind of hard to control... I like it somewhat warm during the day, but somewhat cool at night. I think the caretaker turns the boiler up at night, and down during the day. It sure would be nice to have temperature sensors on the radiators.

For future weather related headaches, does anyone have any recommendations? I tried fluids, chocolate, and painkillers, none of which seemed to have a significant effect. Paying attention to the barometer, higher pressure tends to correspond to "hurty" (head, joints, something), and lower pressure to "non-hurty", although I did have a "hurty" day one day when there was low pressure.
Antique? Barometer

Hmm... I should have kept my mouth shut... my right temple is twinging somewhat...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get more headaches when it rains, which usually corresponds to low pressure systems. The only thing that helps those headaches for me is ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine. The phenylephrine decongestant doesn't work at all...

noricum said...

Oooo... a decongestant! Great idea! Thanks, I'll try that next time it gets bad. :)

aniexma said...

Oooo...headaches, nasty things! I don't get them from weather, but usually from foods. Advil works best for me, but always works more quickly and completely if I eat an orange right after taking them. Peculiar, no?

Lucy said...

I get those headaches (more sinus pressure) when the weather changes also. UGH!

Lucy said...

P.S....I take two Tylenol and put a hot pack on my head (sock with feed corn and microwaved for 2 minutes...works wonders)

noricum said...

Eating an orange? Interesting! I wonder if it's the increased acid that helps it dissolve? Vitamin C? Something else?

The hot pack sounds nice, whether or not it works. ;)

Anonymous said...

I find gentle stretching helps me. I'm extremely sensitive to barometric pressure too. I'm having a "hurty" week here :( . I'm also one of those strange people who feel better after cracking a knuckle (especially my weather pinky!) Keeping fluids up works for me too.

noricum said...

I used to crack my finger joints when I was a kid, but then got "scared off" when someone told me it would make my knuckles big. (I had no idea whether there is any truth behind that or not.) These days I crack my neck (just using my neck muscles) or my back fairly frequently.

I hope you feel less hurty soon!