Thursday, May 22, 2008

BIC Metal, My One True Razor

I love BIC Metal. It's a cheap, disposable razor, but it shaves close without burning, and it glides nicely. However, it's difficult to find. I knew of places to find it in Chapel Hill (last I looked, which was quite a while ago... they last forever for me, since I only do my armpits), but was unable to find it here. I've been using my last one for well over a year now, and have been looking for a replacement. When I couldn't find anything, I wrote to BIC... only to be told that they were *discontinued*!!! Noooooo!

I tried another type. It just wasn't the same.

So, after suffering a bad shave with razor burn this morning, I googled my beloved BIC Metal... and found them on Amazon! (And a few other places, but I went with Amazon.) There they are being sold in sets of twelve packages, with five razors per package. At a rate of one per year (I think I can use them that long), that's a 60 year supply. That only gives me until I'm ninety-two, but I thought there might be some advances in razors in the next 60 years... or that ninety-two might be an okay estimate of my lifespan... so I didn't order two sets.

It's costing me $12 in shipping charges... but I'm willing to pay that in order to have a lifetime supply of my favourite razor.

Now to figure out if my conditioner has been discontinued, or if it's just temporarily hard to find...

4 comments:

Deneen said...

This ALWAYS happens to me with everything. Mike uses one type of blade and that's it-period. Every year, I would buy him several packs for his stocking and so would my mother. He probably has enough still for another 10 years (hence why I didn't buy any last year), but they did stop making them and the last supply I ordered was from some wholesaler off of ebay-it was the same razor, Chinese writing-I did not care.

Anonymous said...

ya know, when I went away to college I couldn't find my razor blades anywhere. My mom used to mail them to me. I have since discovered that the JERKY COMPANIES like to discontinue them to make us buy new razors and blades.

I would have picked you up some blades to send in your package had I known! :) Glad you found them!

sara said...

"Discontinued" is an evil and vile word. And I agree with Jess...it's all a sham to make us buy more.

noricum said...

Thanks, jess! I thought about asking if my blog friends knew of sources, but then found them online, and figured that was easier for everyone. ;)

I found out from my conditioner company that they've discontinued my conditioner. Grrrr! I'm plotting my revenge e-mail now. *sigh*