Tuesday, May 08, 2012

House

This is the house I will be moving into:
IMG_5788
It has a lot of potential, but needs a lot of work. It was built in 1912, purchased by my parents in... um... 1974ish(?), and has just had my dad and/or brother living in it since 1993.

I haven't visited it much lately, since my dad is living in his new place, and I see my brother at the family dinner every week at mom's. I went for a walk-about tonight.

Something tells me the plumbing from the garburator leaks:
IMG_5789

Um... isn't it a good idea to leave floor joists intact underneath bathtubs?
IMG_5790
(Rather than removing one, and drilling the one next to it full of large holes?)

Sometimes my dad finds it useful to make a hole in a wall:
IMG_5794
(Less often does he find it convenient to patch the hole.) There used to be a piece of wallpaper sitting in front of the hole to hide it, but it looks like it went missing in the past nineteen or so years. (Note: The hole is older than 19 years, but I'm pretty sure the wallpaper cover was still there 19 years ago.)

More adventures in home renovations to come...

9 comments:

Catlady said...

Actually, the joists look fine - sometimes you do have to put holes in them to run pipes through. If you are not comfortable with them, though, you can reinforce the joists with metal braces...

Sallie said...

Looks like an interesting house, but you might need that TV guy, Mike Holmes, to help you fix it up. Good luck with the move.

Alicia said...

Looks like you have your work cut out!

Scunge said...

Seeing as you are getting the house from your dad there is no way to call in Holmes Inspection. ;)

noricum said...

Catlady: did you notice the ~6" (I'm bad at estimating) hole over to the left? I know it's common to make some holes, but the size plus number seems excessive for the sole joist supporting the tub. :(

noricum said...

(I would dearly love for Mike Holmes to come rescue this place, but I doubt it would happen.)

noricum said...

Of course, I might have to get one of the Hoarders teams out first. (Okay, it's not that bad for the most part, but there *is* a lot of stuff my dad still needs to move out, and the basement and garage wouldn't look too out of place on that show.)

sara said...

Very pretty house. I have no doubts that you can fix anything it presents to you!

noricum said...

Oh, I can... it's just the time and expense that has me worried.