Tuesday, November 30, 2004

In the news

Item 1) Canadians love their health care:

TOMMY DOUGLAS CROWNED 'GREATEST CANADIAN'
Tommy Douglas, the former Saskatchewan premier who is credited with
being the founding father of Canada's health-care system, was named
Monday night as the winner in the CBC's Greatest Canadian
contest.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2004/11/29/Arts/TommyDouglasGreatestCanadian041129.html

I'm surprised Don Cherry rated higher than Wayne Gretzky.

Item 2) Bhutanese love their health:

BHUTAN BANS ALL PUBLIC SMOKING
A tiny Himalayan kingdom known for its tough environmental laws has
become the first country in the world to ban all tobacco sales and all
public smoking.
FULL STORY:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/11/29/bhutan_tobacco041129.html

4 comments:

Sue said...

Tommy Douglas, grandfather of Kiefer Sutherland. I figure it just goes to enforce that myth that Canada's so small everyone knows everyone. The Office Glen dilemma. And Wayne Gretzky jumped ship when he moved to LA and had American kids, so I think that's why Don Cherry was up there (that or the serious hockey withdrawl makes everything seem a little fuzzy). =) I'm new to reading your blog but am enjoying it. Nice to hear the view of a Canadian living 'down South'.

noricum said...

My, it is a small world. However, not small enough that I met you while I lived in Vancouver for 8 months. ;)

What's the Office Glen dilemma?

Point taken about Wayne Gretzky. The reason I would have figured the reverse, is that from what I hear (I'm not a hockey spectator), Gretzky played a really clean game and is very respectable. Don Cherry, on the other hand, I only hear about when he's getting in trouble for saying "bad" things on TV.

And before anyone jumps on me for being Canadian and not watching hockey, I'm a big curling fan. ;) (Both doing and watching... although I don't get either down here.)

Sue said...

Hi again...
The "Office Glen" video is one the Molson commercials..you can find it at http://www.canada4life.ca/videos.php

I'm not a Don Cherry fan either, and yes, Gretzy is a great ambassador, but I think people still haven't forgiven him from leaving the Oilers. Actually I'm not a big fan of hockey either, if truth be known, but I guess it's just been infused and with the lack of it, it's been more of a topic lately.

noricum said...

Thanks for the link. :) (Although, for some reason that particular vido wouldn't show until I used both Windows and Explorer. Blech. ...I'm a mac devotee, if you can't tell. ;) )