Monday, November 22, 2004

Comforter update

I worked on my comforter tonight. I'm doing the "quilting" on my handy-dandy sewing machine... which is a Walmart special. I'm not sure whether it'll make it to the middle, but I'll give it my best shot. Tonight I sewed all around the outside, putting one seam about a quarter inch from the edge, and then going back and putting a second seam right at the edge. Then I started at the top, sewing rows about every 1.5 to 2 inches apart. I made it about a quarter of the way down the comforter. I guess that means that in three or four nights I'll have a nice new warm blanket. :)

Or, I'll have a horrible mess.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It might take longer... I haven't decided if I should just do rows, or if I should do both rows and columns, to prevent the wool from shifting around when it's washed. It's a locally produced batt, and hasn't been needle-punched, or anything. I bought it because the quilt store was out of the regular kind, and it's hard for me to get to the quilt store. (With the way the busses are around here on the weekend, I ended up walking halfway there, and all the way home. I'm guessing the total would be around 6 miles. Okay... I just checked mapquest, and it's actually a bit over 4 and a half.) I actually normally like supporting local farmers, and that sort of thing, it's just that this batt isn't as machine washable as the other kind. With my allergies, I have to wash my bedding every week, and I don't have time to baby a blanket. I want to be able to stuff it in the washer and dryer, and have it come out whole. I guess I should do the stitching both ways. I'm glad I bought lots of thread!

Oh... and my allergies are the reason I'm making a comforter in the first place. I had tried buying comforters, but they'd last about two washes before clumping and shredding. Maybe a more expensive comforter would have lasted longer, but I'm on a budget these days. Student stipends don't go too far... I'm comfortable, but not rich. ;)

No comments: