Monday, November 22, 2004

A fun and "productive" weekend

I had a pretty good weekend. A friend and I went to an art show on Friday night... it was pretty creepy, so we left early and went Christmas shopping. I bought a present for my mom.

Saturday I slept late, then rode my exercise bike. I went to the front office to sign out two videos, then caught the bus down to the mall to take my mixed paper to the recycling depot there. I picked up a couple of household items and another Christmas present while I was there, and then looked at the art in two galleries at the mall. My favourites were some slightly abstract oil landscapes, and a *really* realistic looking watercolour of a reflection in a window. After dinner I watched one of the movies, then tacked together two flat sheets and wool batting that I'm using to make a comforter. By 4 am I had most of it done... enough that I could move it off my bedroom floor, and rearrange my furnature back to where it's supposed to be. Oh... I also did my laundry and baked pita bread.

Sunday I got up amazingly early given that I had only gotten to bed at 4. I did my grocery shopping, and washed all the dishes I had dirtied since last Tuesday (I dislike washing dishes... I ususally procrastinate until I have none left), and was ready to go by 1:15 when a friend came by and picked me up. We went ice skating, and then did some more Christmas shopping. After dinner I finished tacking my comforter together.

So... essentially I got lots done, but none of the research I had brought home with me. *sigh* However, I was reasonably productive last week at work, so I had *something* to show my advisor today. Just not as much as I wanted.

Today I fixed a bug in my code (yay, it was before the meeting), and now I have some other features I think I can finish before I go home today. Tonight I'll get out the sewing machine, and sew together the comforter for real.

My comforter is pretty plain, cream on one side, pale blue on the other, but I wanted it done fast. My current quilt is showing signs of wear, and it has the cheater polar fleece backing instead of proper batting. It doesn't breath as well as I'd like. Also, the extra cotton blanket I use in winter is absolutely decrepit, and I'm not sure it'll last much longer. I'm working on a new quilt (well, I've finished the design, sewn one test square, and cut out a few more pieces) that I'll put on top, and that will be nice and bright on top of the comforter.

I have no idea why anyone would want to read all the details of my weekend, but that's what I felt like writing during my short break.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is an art show "creepy"?

-Paulina

noricum said...

(I have no idea if this'll get back to you, since you posted as anonymous, so I'll send a copy via e-mail too. Could you let me know if you get two copies? Then I'll know for the future...)

The artist was a graphic artist, who did a lot of posters for bands. His favourite "character" seemed to be an evil looking teddy bear with sharp teeth and an X on it's forehead. I went because someone at Suzanne's work knew the guy, or something. She wanted to go, so I went with her. Here's a link to the artist's web page: http://www.jermainerogers.com/

Anonymous said...

Remembered to check over here and got this. Yeah, I'm posting anonymously since I don't really want to create an account over here, so probably won't get anything through email. I suppose I could create an account...at least then I'd be able to keep up with comments. I'll think about it.

Don't see anything about an rss feed from just looking at your site. Is there anything in your FAQ about enabling that?

-Paulina

noricum said...

I understand... I try to keep my accounts to a minimum too. I have no idea if you would get notified even if you did have an account, since it seems to consider extra comments as belonging to the original post. (I guess blogger isn't perfect. ;) ) I suppose I could add you as a member of my blog (if you decided to register)... but then you might get e-mails about all comments, or something.

I've enabled "atom"... my atom feed is http://noricum.blogspot.com/atom.xml

I've never used rss or atom, so I have no idea whether atom would work for you. :(

noricum said...

Oops... I just realized that when I "e-mailed" you my previous post, I hit "reply", and didn't change the address. So I guess you're not going to get that e-mail. (*sheepish*)

Andrea