Friday, December 28, 2012

Encaustics

I bought mom (& me) an encaustics kit plus a bunch of cradled boards for Christmas, and today we had fun painting! I painted starfish from a photo I had taken a bunch of years back:
IMG_6773
Not bad for a first attempt, huh?

Interestingly, it also looks good rotated by 90 degrees:
IMG_6773 copy

Now I need to decide which way to hang it. ;)

In the category of "no shit, Sherlock"... tins of wax are still hot several minutes after you remove them from the heat:
IMG_6771
I also had it all over me, the floor, and the newspaper covering the table. Thankfully I was able to get it all off the floor! I put as much as I could back in the tin... that stuff is expensive!

2 comments:

Karla said...

Thank you for a new word for my "learn a new word everyday" endeavor! I have never heard of the word "encaustic", but I looked it up (since my daddy always said to look up the meaning of words I don't know) and I see that it is painting with wax! Pretty cool! Sorry about your wax spill. Cute shirt, though! :)

noricum said...

:)

I'm not sure how to get the wax off the shirt (I have visions of it coming off in the wash and melting all over the rest of the load), and the shirt is rather well-worn anyway (two small holes, etc), so I decided to call it done for the shirt. :( It's one I got from Ravelry. If they still sold it, I would totally buy another.