Saturday, August 25, 2012

House Update: Last Weekend

Last weekend I got the closet shelves up, sort of:
IMG_6304
Apparently I trimmed this one a bit short, so I need to add some wedges on each edge so that it doesn't shift too far to one side, and thus fall down. (I think the back, where I measured, might be a bit narrower than the front, which contributed to the measuring difficulty.)

The shelf is also up in the master bedroom, but each of the middle braces missed studs (so much for using a stud finder!), and also went in a little high (they're curved at the bend, which makes it difficult to be accurate), so I want to move them before I call it "done". That shelf I cut a smidge too long, and so had to trim one end a bit.

This clothes line in the laundry room used to go from beside the window (you can still see the hole in the wall) to above my head:
IMG_6302
The problem with that configuration meant that the shirts on hangers brushed up against the wall (it was too close to the wall), and they got in your way when doing laundry (not a very big room). It's now a bit of a challenge to reach the hangers over the dead space (where the flat drying racks are), but it can be done, and I'm thinking of making a pole with a hook to act as an assistant:
IMG_6305
Two other downsides to this configuration:
1. I can no longer hang long stuff (which, ironically, I never had the need, until *just* after moving the line), and
2. the ironing board is in the way.
It's not a great place for the ironing board anyway, since it will get dusty there. It's on my list of things to figure out. I did find a random hook in the entryway to the livingroom to hang my dress on to dry, but I expect I'll add a hook or something at the top of the entryway to the laundry room... it'll still get in the way when you do laundry, but it's not that often that I want to hang something long to dry.

I also "unpacked" the modified jean legs that I use to store plastic bags and rags, and hung them up on random screws in the wall of the laundry room:
IMG_6306

This screw I installed myself:
IMG_6303
As I put it in, I remembered why my mom had storage space for brooms, but I don't: There's some shelves in the broom closet that didn't used to be there! However, those shelves are very handy for storing cleaning products. So I need to figure out if I want to find a new place for the cleaning products, or a new place for the brooms and mops. (I think my dad's solution may have been to not have brooms and mops, or he kept them where they were used... like beside the tub, where the mop caught leaks. (I don't want to store my mop beside the tub, thanks.)

I'm contemplating putting some hooks on the side of the laundry room for the brooms and mops, but that's not really an ideal situation, since they'll be visible to people going to and from the kitchen, plus they'll make the laundry room dustier.

Today, I'm in a mood to get stuff done... however, there's so much I *want* to do, I'm being struck with indecision. Plus there's the lingering gastroenteritis, that makes me want to stick close to washrooms... :P

2 comments:

Nicoya said...

The brooms got stuck beside the washer when father put the shelves in. I was not impressed. They often fell over during the spin cycle, along with being a filthy eyesore.

You could always put a proper cabinet over the washer, in place of that ratty old shelf, and stick your cleaning products there.

noricum said...

I must admit that a proper cabinet for the laundry room is on my long-list... I'd like to be able to store laundry soap, etc, in a way that doesn't invite dust to collect. (I'm also toying with the idea of making a custom cabinet for the opposite wall that will fit the ironing board, since having it near the laundry facilities makes the most sense. The iron is currently in the broom closet, but I'd switch it over to the one I put in the laundry room when that one is there.)

Hmmm... I wonder how much a basic, pre-fab cabinet for over the washer costs, or if I'd rather build something that'll go to the ceiling in Uncle D's workshop... (the latter would have more space, with the less-used items stored up high, not collect dust on top, and possibly be made of better quality materials... I'm not a fan of particle board for shelves, given it's propensity to sag...)