Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Louis Riel Day

Today, on my holiday Monday, I slept late, then shovelled the sidewalks:
IMG_6907
(I shovelled a lot more than what you can see here, but this is representative, and I didn't want to go back out in the cold to take more photographs that you probably don't care much about anyway.)

I had a battle of the bread machines:
IMG_6908
Sourdough (back) in the old bread machine, plain white (front) in the new... because the last time the new bread machine produced a funny-looking loaf with a swirl of black (oil?), that I ended up tossing out:
IMG_6842
This week, however, the new machine produced a perfectly acceptable loaf, so now I have an overabundance of bread, rather than a shortage. Once I've gone through these loaves, I'll give sourdough another try in the new machine.

Finally, I finished off the day with an evening at the art club:
IMG_6910
I finished carving the modelling compound, patched the cracks, then added some colour that will mostly be an underpainting. (With this much texture, I want to avoid white spots showing through, so I figured I'd get things covered with colours that wouldn't look funny if I miss spots with the final colours.

Quote from Riel: "My people will sleep for one hundred years, but when they awake, it will be the artists who give them their spirit back."

Let's see... slept late, struggled with snow, then had a nice evening doing art. Not quite what Riel meant, but I think it works. ;)

No comments: